Enthera S.r.l (www.entherapharmaceuticals.com) is a biotech company that was founded around the novel technologies pioneered by Professor Paolo Fiorina (Harvard Medical School, University of Milan). The company recently completed a €35 million financing with participation by Sofinnova Partners, Abbvie Ventures, Roche Venture Fund and the JDRF T1D Fund.
Enthera is developing a robust and exciting pipeline of first-in-class disease-modifying therapies for a wide-range of serious diseases including Type 1 Diabetes (T1D), Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and fibrotic diseases. Our lead program is a novel antibody against a transmembrane receptor that is highly expressed in insulin-producing beta cells and in the intestinal stem cells of the colon. This receptor is aberrantly activated by Insulin Growth Factor Binding Protein 3 (IGFBP3) in certain disease conditions and this aberrant activation induces apoptosis of cells in the organ, a key pathogenetic event in the onset of the autoimmune process. The inhibition of this receptor/IGFBP3 axis using our proprietary antibody has shown compelling efficacy in protecting beta cells and colonic stem cells in a wide range of challenging in vitro and in vivo disease models.
Enthera is building a thriving, collaborative, and creative community that is dedicated to the mission of developing novel therapeutics to address serious diseases. We are headquartered with offices in Milan and with research facilities located in the OpenZone Biopark in Bresso, Italy.
Position of Chief Scientific Officer
Enthera is seeking a Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) who will provide scientific vision, leadership, strategy, and management to the Company. The CSO, reporting into the CEO, will be a key member of the Executive Management Team, and the critical Executive to communicate the Company’s scientific vision and strategy to key stakeholders. In addition, the CSO will be responsible to develop and execute the research strategies that will build a robust and proprietary discovery pipeline with the goal to deliver multiple product opportunities to address serious unmet medical needs.
- Establish the overall strategy for discovery and preclinical R&D efforts in the fields of autoimmune, chronic inflammation and metabolic conditions that incorporates cutting-edge science that can address serious unmet medical needs
- Build a robust pre-clinical pipeline through both internal R&D efforts and academic collaborations (University of Milan, Humanitas University) by selecting and prioritizng projects based on scientific merit, strategic fit and commercial value
- Build, motivate and lead a world-class research organization that blends internal research capabilities and quality external contract research organizations (CROs) to execute on the drug discovery stratety
- Support the generation of relevant regulatory dossiers (e.g. INDs, IMPDs, CTAs)
- Lead and drive the progress of pipeline programs and collaborations meet to meet corporate objectives, milestones and goals
- Work collaboratively with internal teams, collaborators and consultants to plan and execute on the overall research and development plans
- Develop the translational plans and non-clinical studies to support the Company’s investigational molecules as they advance into the clinic
- Participate in business initiatives that further the strategic and business objectives of the Company and be the scientific lead in representing the research and discovery pipeline
- Communicate scientific progress and issues to the Board of Directors, regulatory agencies as necessary, and at national and international conferences as appropriate
- Lead and manage various relationships and meetings with the external scientific community
- PhD or MD/PhD in immunology or equivalent
- Must have 10+ years of research and drug development experience with biologics,
- Proven success track record of advancing discovery projects into early clinical development
- Highly accomplished scientific leadership with a passion for research and a desire to make an impact in autoimmune and metabolic disorders
- Prior experience with therapies based on monoclonal antibodies is a must
- Must have excellent interpersonal and analytical skills, as well as high ethical standards and outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Requires the ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders
- Must be team oriented and able to invest in the success of others
- An excellent track record of publications in the field of immunology, inflammation, autoimmunity and/or metabolic disorders.
For more information, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org